Package Search

Members: 353 | Topics: 767 | Posts: 3211
We welcome our newest member: ClintBarton
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 14 guests | Time: 01:29
Bugs and enhancements for Paldo 1.20
paldo Support Forum    paldo    General Discussion
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
My personal, detailed, report
13 posts found.Page: 1 2
 Bugs and enhancements for Paldo 1.20
Junior Mitglied

I've just installed Paldo 1.20 on my new Asus UL30. This new version of Paldo is not announced yet, but you can download it under the "Downloads" page.
First of all, thanks for this beautifull distribution Here's my point of view and my experience:

Good things:
    1. Paldo is cool (and we already know this )
    2. openssh is started by default, and it shares on lan our pc by sftp protocol. Every modern distribution discover it under the "Network" item
    3. It's fast
    4. In only ~700 mb have a very good set of updated programs, with headers file too.

Bugs:
    1. I can't make network available from everybody (see network-manager and policykit)
    2. Many programs are not localized (examples: pidgin, other gnome stuffs)
    3. When you want to set up gtalk on pidgin, you need to set the server manually (talk.google.com)
    4. After a fresh installation, upkg-* programs don't work (don't know why)
    solution -> rm -rf /var/cache/upkg # upkg does not support resume
    5. Kernel panic when disconnetting (or suspending with) Alpha wireless cards
    6. Pressing hibernate button do nothing on my laptop
    7. My webcam flip horizontally the image (module: uvcvideo)
    8. When I press my laptop wireless key, it disable every wireless wireless card in network manager, not only the one I've phisically disabled
    9. The wikipage is not correctly viewed with the new epiphany (is this a website bug? It seems something related with webkit)
    10. Epiphany does not open ftp website (it says that's not mounted)
    11. Under Application -> Office -> there are 3 items with the same identical name
    12. Epiphany does not ask if it should remember the user and/or the password
    13. virt-manager needs libvirtd daemon running. If I run it, I can't use the default qemu/kvm default connection to create a virtual machine (I need to modprobe the correct kvm-* module for my cpu and set permission for my user, but I haven't found where... actually the connection is labeled as read-only)
    14. VirtualBox requires postgres and mysql

For bugs 1 and 8 (the network-manager releated ones): we could try to use the beta version of network-manager (0.7.996...), as Fedora 12 does actually.
For bugs 9, 10 and 12... I think that are gnome bugs. Btw, webkit under epiphany is cool

Enhancements:
    1. On x86_64, we need another launcher for kvm, because the default one runs qemu in 32 bit mode:
    [frafra@calimero:~]$ cat /usr/bin/kvm
    #!/bin/sh
    exec qemu -enable-kvm "$@"

So we need something like:
    [root@calimero:~]# cp /usr/bin/kvm /usr/bin/kvm-system-x86_64
    [root@calimero:~]# sed 's/qemu/qemu-system-x86_64/' -i /usr/bin/kvm-system-x86_64
    [root@calimero:~]# cat /usr/bin/kvm-system-x86_64
    #!/bin/sh
    exec qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm "$@"

Also, it could be usefull to load automatically the kvm-* appropiated module for the current cpu. (see bug n. 13)
    2. Upkg-* should support partial downloads. We could use wget to doing this, appending by default the -c option (see bug n. 4).
    3. We need a graphical tools to set up the list of program that run at boot time
    4. We need a graphical tool for upkg (it could a backend of packagekit)
    5. Nice theme and icons by default (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/ seems a good solution)
    6. Tools to put Paldo on usb stick. Actually it's possible with those steps:
    -- 1. Uncompress the .iso file
    -- 2. Make an ext2 partition on the usb stick with the label "paldousb", and replug the usb stick
    -- 3. Copy every file on the stick
    -- 4. In the boot/grub/menu.lst file, relace:
    -- -- 1. root=cdrom -> root=/dev/disks/by-label/paldousb
    -- -- 2. rootfs=iso9660 -> rootfs=ext2
    -- 5. As root, run: grub-install --root-directory=/media/paldousb /dev/disks/by-label/paldousb
    -- 6. Eject the pendrive, and reboot your computer
    -- 7. If you've installed it on your hd, you have to edit the hd /boot/grub/menu.lst in order to set up the correct root device and the rootfs (ext2/3 is suggested for the /boot device)

That's all

p.s. Bug of the forum: it doesn't allows nested [LIST] stuffs
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2009-11-07 12:21 | Modified: 2009-11-07 12:24 by frafra
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Bugs and enhancements for Paldo 1.20
Senior Mitglied

Hello frafra,
Thanks in advance for your tips...

First about bug 1... I've been investigating the problem.. it actually concerns about "password". Policykit should be opening a window asking for the password either yours or the root... but it doesn't!

For the same reason your bug 6 happen, since the user created on the installation has no permission the first time you would be asking for an hibernation consolekit would be asking for the root password... and it doesn't

Now the upkg things...

I think upkg needs lots of improvements... but it was written in Mono... and I don't know Mono... .... but here goes what I know :

1. Upkg was written in Mono but sometime ago the developers were speaking about trying to port it to gnome Vala language... but they didn't had the time to do so

2. Because of fact #1 then they didn't start the packagekit backend but it was in their plans.

3. I think the most annoying think in upkg is the fact of not resuming the download... There could be the resume e then if a md5 doesn't check or something upkg could try again.

4. Paldo needs more devels... so if there is anyone here wanting to help with upkg, paldo installer translation or application specs... I know the developers are willing to join your efforts in

Now about other bugs you've pointed out:

bug: 3 I think pidgin doesn't support officially the google talk option

bug: 7 You need to give us more informations... I use the same module and no problems in here

bug: 11 I don't have this same 3 identical programs, what are them?

I'm not a devel, but I'm really interested in seeing paldo develops better.. but I don't know how to write a code (I'm the wrong architect... I build buildings not pc systems )

OSs: Paldo-testing x86_64 :: HP Pavilion dv9680ez
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2009-11-08 19:32
Senior Mitglied

Frafra,

I said one thing that was wrong... about pidgin, it does support google talk and it is enabled on the list... I can add it correctly but I needed to set the account to request for SSL/TLS so it could work... I get no problem here and never needed to set anything else so it could work

Created: 2009-11-08 20:10
Junior Mitglied

Zitat
Original erstellt: 2009-11-08 19:32 von diogo
bug: 3 I think pidgin doesn't support officially the google talk option

bug: 7 You need to give us more informations... I use the same module and no problems in here

bug: 11 I don't have this same 3 identical programs, what are them?

bug 3: there's an option for it but this is a little problem
bug 7: I think that this coulb be related to my webcam (there's asus slashtop on my laptop, and it has an option to flip it if there're problems)
bug 11: I think that's a translation error.
Created: 2009-11-08 20:28
Senior Mitglied

About bug 11:

After upgrading today my system.. I got this problem it should be evolution contacts calendar and email... but I get 3 evolution icons... this is a recent problem since yesterday I didn't have it...

Created: 2009-11-08 20:38
Senior Mitglied

Concerning bug 3: still couldn't get any problems removed my configuration and readded my gmail account and it connected correctly... the only extra thing is that it need SSL/TLS sometimes... still don't know why it doesn't need it for all the accounts, but it is a google problem and not pidgin one

Now I'm going to be off for sometime to check out the problem with networkmanager and consolekit/policykit (bug 1) ... BRB with updates

Created: 2009-11-08 20:40 | Modified: 2009-11-08 20:44 by diogo
Senior Mitglied

About bug 1:

I attempt to run networkmanager through the terminal to get the debug entries... but the weird thing is that when trying to invoke a job for policykit (either make a system connection or edit the default Auto eth0 ) it seems nothing happens... literally the debug info is none .... which is pretty annoying

Created: 2009-11-08 21:19
Junior Mitglied

About Enhancement #6:

I am very interested in running paldo on a usb stick. Is it possible to set it up to run persistant like you can for ubuntu?

richard
Created: 2009-11-13 16:13
Junior Mitglied

Zitat
Original erstellt: 2009-11-13 16:13 von richard
About Enhancement #6:

I am very interested in running paldo on a usb stick. Is it possible to set it up to run persistant like you can for ubuntu?

Sure. Just run Paldo Live cd and install it on a usb drive, as you usually do for your hd.
Created: 2009-11-14 12:25
Senior Mitglied

Hi frafra, and everyone in the paldo's forum

Concerning the policykit and authorizations problems... after one month of research I found the solution... I wish juergbi adopt it soon.

You can see the solution on: http://forum.paldo.org/index.php?action=topic&topicnr=669&pagenr=1#post4036

UPDATE: Just found out that this solves the problem about pressing the suspend key and the system actually suspend

Created: 2009-11-23 02:46 | Modified: 2009-11-23 03:37 by diogo
This topic contains further posts. Next
Page: 1 2
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic