Package Search

Members: 353 | Topics: 767 | Posts: 3211
We welcome our newest member: ClintBarton
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 12 guests | Time: 21:37
Separate / /home /boot /usr /var /tmp
paldo Support Forum    paldo    Installation Support
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
6 posts found.
 Separate / /home /boot /usr /var /tmp
Junior Mitglied

Is it possible through manual installation to install / /boot /usr /var /tmp and /home in separate partitions ??

I belive this will require manaul installation as described in the WIKI. But before I try, I would like to know if it is at all possible with PALDO. I know that for instance in Frugalware it is not possible.

Thank you for any answer

Lars Henrik
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-10-03 00:50
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Separate / /home /boot /usr /var /tmp

Linux-Dude

sure it is possible. out from the wiki:

Zitat
3. Mount the fresh partition on /upkg (create the directory if necessary), i.e. mount /dev/<paldo partition> /upkg.
4. Start the bootstrap process by issuing upkg-bootstrap --branch=<branch> paldo, where <branch> is one of stable, testing, unstable or experimental. Choose stable in doubt. paldo can be replaced by paldo-desktop, paldo-server or any other package if you don't need the default full installation.

So for your deal you've to do step 3 this way:

mount root as /upkg
mount home as /upkg/home
mount usr as /upkg/usr
mount boot as /upkg/boot
mount var as /upkg/var
and tmp as /upkg/tmp

Zitat
Edit /etc/fstab if you use more than just one root partition.

well you've to do that. then it will be the same without /upkg in front of it.

Note
I didn't test it myself, but it should be work theoretical. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Created: 2008-10-03 12:30 | Modified: 2008-10-03 13:02 by Amnon82
Administrator

We don't test paldo with separate /usr and /var partitions, so it may be possible that you hit issues when trying to do so. Separate /home and /boot partitions are supported.
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-10-03 12:35
Junior Mitglied

Thank you wery much for your reply

I will try in the next week with separate partitions and then report back if there are any issues or troubles with it

Have a nice weekend

Lars Henrik
Created: 2008-10-03 13:18
Junior Mitglied

It was not possible to install with /usr and /var seperated from /. The installation looked fine. But the filesystempackage witch was rebuilt installed everything into /. After installation only a small commandline system was available instaled in /bin.
It is very possible that i did make something wrong. For instance that the partitions was swapped upon boot. I had to reinstall grub to make the system boot, so the order of partitons was swapped.

Afterwards i made a normal install whith separate / /boot and /home. One annnoying thing was that /home was formatted. I did make a backup beforehand so no serious problem, but in my humble opinion the user should have the possibility to avoid that.

Otherwise everything seems nice.

Maybe I try once more with separate patitons to see if I made something very wrong

Thank you for your fast response and help so far

Lars Henrik
Created: 2008-10-06 17:46
Administrator

The graphical installer displays in the summary before the actual installation (and also already on the partitioning page) which partitions will be formatted. It will always format the root partition, however, it shouldn't touch the /home partition if it has a supported filesystem. If it doesn't behave like that, please tell me the exact steps taken.

It's very well possible that separate /usr and /var partitions don't work, so probably not an error on your side.
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-10-06 17:58
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic