Package Search

Members: 353 | Topics: 767 | Posts: 3211
We welcome our newest member: ClintBarton
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 6 guests | Time: 01:36
It's possible to remove mono by default?
paldo Support Forum    paldo    General Discussion
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
11 posts found.Page: 1 2
 It's possible to remove mono by default?
Junior Mitglied

Hello

It's a good idea to remove tomboy and put in repositories. Plese paldo devs remove tomboy as default installation ,put Zim.

Thanks
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-08-29 18:50
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: It's possible to remove mono by default?

Linux-Dude

mono is needed by upkg, so we can't remove mono. Whats wrong with tomboy? What is ZIM. Any url for the program?
Created: 2008-08-29 21:54
Junior Mitglied

Oh sorry

Zim - http://zim-wiki.org/About.html

It's not need to remove all mono, just only tomboy from default installation (Of course , tomboy can be installed after,if user wants) .

Put Zim instead.
Created: 2008-08-30 00:02

Linux-Dude

I'll look into ZIM. If I add it, it will be as an extra package first. I even don't use tomboy so I can't tell you which app is the best for this particular use. Sure we want only the best app as default but I can't decide this alone.
Created: 2008-08-30 00:53 | Modified: 2008-08-30 00:53 by Amnon82
Junior Mitglied

Thanks for reconsider.

Tomboy is good app ,I don t use it,but is good.The problem is a political and influencial power over mono (you know ,ms influences novell and others to include dot net technologies by default in gnu linux.)

At moment ,I'm using java.Is very powerful language.

Consider D language too.

Thanks

EDIT: please include parcellite and zip 3.0 in paldo repositories

parcellite - a good clipboard manager for gnome ,very fast and works like a daemon

http://parcellite.sourceforge.net/

Zip- Infozip have finally a 3.0 version - a lot of improvements.
http://www.info-zip.org/
Created: 2008-08-30 05:22 | Modified: 2008-08-31 02:33 by seller_liar
Mitglied

dotNET/Mono is a standard programming language so I don't see how MS could possibly influence your choices. I am a dotNET/Mono developer and I can assure you that MS doesn't affect any choice I made. Moreover Mono is free and it's way more powerful than Java which requires tons of RAM just to run "Hello world".

Running GNU/Linux Paldo 1.18 (unstable). Rock my box!
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-08-31 10:24 | Modified: 2008-08-31 17:47 by axelgenus

Linux-Dude

We can start a war here. upkg is coded in C# and uses mono as runtime. We'll convert it to vala in the future so paldo uses a mono-app less, but I think mono will still be standard in the ISO. I'm not the person who can decide this. We are 5 people almost in the same position running this distro. Maybe we talk about it, maybe not. Yes I'll add your programs to paldo, but if we use them as standard it is too early to say.

Also our distro is adaptable, so why not creating your own ISOs if you don't like mono at all. ... atm you can't drop mono cos of upkg
Created: 2008-08-31 14:10
Mitglied

Well, Vala is C# (kinda) with GObject support so it doesn't really change the world...

However, I'm intrested in no flame war. I meant that many pepole dislikes Mono as it's made by Microsoft (false) which is the Devil and prefer to use Java which is made by Sun (well, the VM at least) which is God with no other good reasons.

Created: 2008-08-31 17:53 | Modified: 2008-08-31 17:53 by axelgenus
Junior Mitglied

Thanks amnon for response.

Oh sorry guys,but I do not want make a flamewar.

Keep in mind about mono: It's very loooooooooooong history, some parts of mono are in patents .Mono can be installed through paldo repos.Only It's not good include tomboy (and other mono apps) by default because forces people follow the ms way.

I know about upkg,it's acceptable ,but I don like tomboy by default in paldo gnu/linux.

Mono is made by novell, ms pays novell , only novell can acess to mono .Only novell have acess to ms implementation.Novell and MS already make money through gnu gpl v2 "bugs".

Vala is C# but it's not mono .

I know about java ,but we have cacao, a vm jit compiler.We have gcj , compiles java in native library.

Please axel , it's not true, I do not want make a war and do not want make falses comparations. MS already uses patents for disrupting competitors , novell do the same in mono area and virtualization.
Yes ,and ms is devil , look at

http://boycottnovell.com
Created: 2008-08-31 22:29 | Modified: 2008-08-31 22:30 by seller_liar
Mitglied

The decision about what's inside this distro by default is something that the staff decides. If you don't like mono apps you can modify the distro to just include your favourite applications.

For what regards MS-Novell's "friendship" I see it as a bad 'n' good thing: Microsoft didn't want to spend money on linux to port the .NET Framework so they sold patented parts of the framework to Novell with a no disclosure agreement. Sun opens JDK and JRE as open source software for the same exact reason: they don't want to put money to write a cross-platform java plugin for mozilla-based browsers so they let OS developers do the job: the JDK and the JRE will always be patented by Sun. Adobe does the same thing about Flash: they're going to release part of Flash as open source but not too much so they can keep the trademark on it. It's called business: Microsoft has its framework, Novell has it's commercial distribution... everybody is just out there for money! I don't say it's a good thing but good thing may come out of it.

However I went OT too much. I suggest to keep things as they are until something better comes out: I don't use TomBoy as I wouldn't use Zim but I prefer Banshee over Rhythmbox and I do like C# and VB.NET. The power of Mono is that it's a cross-platform framework (as Java but it's much less a resource hog) so I can write my application to run of Linux, Windows and *BSD.

Created: 2008-09-01 10:40 | Modified: 2008-09-01 10:42 by axelgenus
This topic contains further posts. Next
Page: 1 2
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic