Package Search

Members: 353 | Topics: 767 | Posts: 3211
We welcome our newest member: ClintBarton
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 16 guests | Time: 18:09
Printing problems
paldo Support Forum    paldo    General Discussion
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
3 posts found.
 Printing problems
Junior Mitglied

First, let me say that I am fairly new to linux. I very much like your distro and the fact that it is not branded. i also like the fact that it is rolling. Keep up the good work.

I have done a clean install of 1.13 and almost everthing works as expected, except that I cannot print. I have an HP Deskjet 812C using a Usb connection. When printing a test page it says job pending, but it never prints.

I have read all of the forums and have found nothing addressing this problem. I know that groups are important, but when I type groups in a terminal all that is listed is root. how do I add groups to my username?

richard
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-02-12 15:50
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Printing problems
Administrator

Try the CUPS web interface to setup the printer, i.e. enter http://localhost:631 in your web browser and follow the instructions.

BTW: If only root is listed as group, you're probably running everything as the root user (administrator), which is not recommended for security reasons - there is also a warning about this when logging in graphically. Use the username and password that you've entered in the installer, assuming you've used the graphical installation.
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-02-13 11:05
 Re: Printing problems
Junior Mitglied

Thanks for the quick response, but I must recant the statement made in my first post. What I could not do was print a test page, so I assumed that I could not print. I tried printing from OpenOffice and it prints just fine.

Also, when I checked groups in the terminal, what I should have typed was 'groups richard'. When I did that what came up was 'audio cdrom wheel video network'.

As I said before, I am pretty new to linux, but I am learning. This is by far the best distro I have used, and plan to keep it on my machine for a long time. Keep up the excelent work.

richard
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-02-13 15:47
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic