Package Search

Members: 351 | Topics: 766 | Posts: 3210
We welcome our newest member: Somewhat Reticent
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 4 guests | Time: 12:25
Grub Splash
paldo Support Forum    Upkg    General Discussion
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
Idea about a Grub Splash screen
3 posts found.
 Grub Splash
Junior Mitglied

dustin.winski5

Hey, I have an idea about grub. The next upcoming release should come a splash screen with grub, nothing big just maybe we could use the default wallpaper.
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2010-05-06 00:13
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Grub Splash
Senior Mitglied

Hi dustin.winski5 and welcome to paldo's forum,

Actually I have a better idea.

"Moving to grub2."

Grub2 provide us that feature but besides that it also would provide a simpler way to manage the kernel list. Simply sent a grub-update-menu would query for all the kernels on /boot and create an entry for them, today managing the kernel entries is completely manual, and can lead the user to searious problems.

The splash screen on grub would be possible with grub2 even on high resolutions such as 1440x900 or 1280x800.

Now there has been a discussion on this forum if I recall, a long time ago, and apparently the users claimed that they didn't mind about a boot splash or something else, so because of that no splash screen is implemented.

I still think that a simple console boot process is nice and informative. Besides paldo has a very quick boot so it doesn't remains on the screen for long.

Now I'd like to clear out your idea: Do you mean splash screen on grub screen (box for selecting the operating system to boot), or do you mean a splash screen during boot progress of the init/rc (while services are loaded until GDM is is presented) ?

OSs: Paldo-testing x86_64 :: HP Pavilion dv9680ez
Created: 2010-05-06 11:27
 Re: Grub Splash
Junior Mitglied

dustin.winski5

I was wondering about the Grub menu, not the splash screen while the system is booting, i like how it is now. It's nice to see what is going on during boot time.
Created: 2010-05-06 13:13
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic