Package Search

Members: 351 | Topics: 766 | Posts: 3210
We welcome our newest member: Somewhat Reticent
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 5 guests | Time: 12:29
Upkg In Vala Programming
paldo Support Forum    Upkg    General Discussion
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
First step for porting our package manager
7 posts found.
 Upkg In Vala Programming
Senior Mitglied

Hi everyone,

So I've been here for around an year and nothing makes other distros better than paldo for me.

A long time ago I saw that the idea of the developers were one day port upkg from Mono to Vala.

But the devels, are out of time for it right now. So I was wondering how long could I take my skills (I'm not a programmer at all -- just an architect ) and make the first efforts.

Because of that it's been 3 months now that I've been trying to learn Vala and C concepts so I can make any code at all.

After these 3 months... I now have to partial and initial code "efforts": the first one I called uconf, and the second it is called upackage.

The idea was to make separate binaries to see if they actually work (considering my programming level). Later their function can be integratate through a main app in the Namespace Upkg.

So I'm going to post in here the codes for them. To compile them you need to use libxml-2.0 since they read xml files.

Vala is installed by default in paldo so the only thing you need to do is past it on a file named uconf.vala and compile it with

UPDATE = Removed the code of this old version since a new one (better one) were done and also since it was making the post too long

Sorry for this very long post, but I don't have a server to upload the files.

If anyone wants to contribute anyway with this effort for porting, I'm sure not only I'm going to be happy

PS.: To see how to use the programs after compile type ./$PROGRAM usage or ./$PROGRAM help

OSs: Paldo-testing x86_64 :: HP Pavilion dv9680ez
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2009-12-16 00:48 | Modified: 2009-12-17 17:43 by diogo
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Upkg In Vala Programming
Senior Mitglied

UPDATE:

Hi all... so I did loads of modifications to reduce and improve the code of this part

I'll finish some other modifications

And by friday night (since I have a presentation to do on friday afternoon) I will have a server to put the new files online instead of posting them in the forums

Created: 2009-12-17 01:21
Senior Mitglied

Hi everyone,

So I rewrote the code to make it actually better and easier to modify

This code can be accessed on http://files.myopera.com/diogourb/UpkgVala/upkg-vala.tar.bz2 , to compile it get to the src folder and then $ sh compile.sh

I didn't do an arguments interpreting so it takes just one argumenta which is the package_name ... and also I still didn't figure it out how to validate the architecture for the release... so the architecture of the computer is still ignored.

This code just prints informations on the screen so it wont give any problem to the system

Created: 2009-12-17 17:40
Senior Mitglied

Hi again,

So I started implementing GIO to get installed packages informations and then compare to the online packages

It still needs improvement and don't consider the tags, like the ones in linux-2.6 package

Also I'm trying to figure out how to make a if case to check the release architecture on the xml.

To get the updated code : http://files.myopera.com/diogourb/UpkgVala/upkg-vala.tar.bz2

Created: 2009-12-19 11:58
Senior Mitglied

OK,

So I basicly did my attemps. Learned a bit.

But yet... I don't think I'll get further.

At least I tried...

Created: 2009-12-19 23:15
Senior Mitglied

So... I've decided that what I was doing is not write...

I've been rewriting from scratch without the knowledge something that was already written. I could could lead to many problems later

So I stuck on a phase and started to rethink.

I'm reading the mono code to see how upkg is handled, talked a bit with juergbi on the irc. And so upkg even though it is written in mono it interpretes the request and do it all through bash.

No I'm going to see how the mono code gets and makes the bash script to actually do something similar without needing to rethink the package styles making the port a problem if we get some incompabilities needs in the way.

The case is it is not going to be a exact port since mono do somethings differently from vala. But I'll try to make a very similar code so later we get no problems

Created: 2009-12-20 11:31
Senior Mitglied

So I'm here to give my veredict

The fact is that... I'm not going any further with the vala programming because of lack of knowledge, therefore I keep coming and going to the same step.

Here are the big questions... Is upkg in need of a rewrite ?... Does we need to abandon mono ?... Upkg does need some improvements, and I'd like help it better, but I found out that trying to port upkg to vala is not how I'll succeed in contributing to the community.

So new plans... I'll try to make some efforts and see if I help with GUI for /etc/default/* files or what about making GUI for creating XML specs.

I'll try to make things inside my capabilities.

Created: 2010-01-06 20:56
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic