Package Search

Members: 351 | Topics: 765 | Posts: 3209
We welcome our newest member: Somewhat Reticent
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 6 guests | Time: 21:32
Support for jfs
paldo Support Forum    paldo    Installation Support    Installer Live CD Support
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
6 posts found.
 Support for jfs
Junior Mitglied

Hi all

I am curretly reinstalling Paldo. My preferred filesystem is jfs. It is fast (it can use more than one processor at a time) and after what I have heard very stable. Unfortunetely there is curretenly no support for jfs on the live-CD. There is no problem in accessing the filesystems, but because of lacking jfsutils it cannot be created and used for installation. A way to do it anyway wil probably be to install jfsutils on the system running on the CD. I will try this tonight, and report back after then.

I will in a few days like to contribute with a package for jfsutils (and probably a few others)

I really love paldo (and working on it). Off course full support for my language (danish) out of the box would be nice. Tell me if there is anything I can help with to achieve that.

Have a nice day

Lars Henrik
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-12-10 13:00
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Support for jfs

Linux-Dude

we have to change global.xml to add danish. also the stripout of unsupported languages must be edited during live-cd creation. paldo-installer needs to get danish as an option. so in simple: there a few packages we've to edit to add another language. Adding jfs-support might be simpler. talk with jürg about it when you find him in the irc channel.
Created: 2008-12-10 15:33
Administrator

The reason why we only support a limited number of languages is that translations and help files use a lot of disk space. While disk space is cheap nowadays, we still want to keep the Live CD fitting on a single 700 MB CD. Assuming jfsutils are not too big, it might make sense to add them to the default installation and therefore also Rescue and Live CD.
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-12-10 18:34
Junior Mitglied

Hi again
Created: 2008-12-10 22:51
Junior Mitglied

Hi again

My previos post went on a little too early )

I have now tried manuel install with jfs as / . It did not work so well, probably because jfs is loaded as a module at runtime in the kernel. This is alright for the majority of users, and anyone using the installer will have ext3 as their filesystem for /. I will continue using jfs for /home.

I fully understand the reason for having just a limited number of languages. Could it (someday) be an install option and packages then afterwards locally compiled for the minor languages (all execpt english, german, french, spanish, and maybe portugese).

I know that it is probably quite few users that are using jfs, although it is one of the best systems for speed, relibility and space. Having it as an option for other filesystems than / would be very nice. Jfsutils fills about 0,5 MB as a package. Should i make a package and upload it ?? I am also thinking about other utils like lxsplit, gqview, par2_cmdline ...

Have a nice day

Lars Henrik
Created: 2008-12-10 23:15

Linux-Dude

we consider it to add it to 1.17. sure it will be in testing soon.
Created: 2008-12-11 00:19
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic