Package Search

Members: 351 | Topics: 765 | Posts: 3209
We welcome our newest member: Somewhat Reticent
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 3 guests | Time: 07:04
ExTiX 6.0 (paldo-based)
paldo Support Forum    paldo    Announcements
Subscribe Discussion Subscribe Discussion
 ExTiX 6.0 (paldo-based)

What is ExTiX/paldo?

Previous versions of ExTiX were based on KNOPPIX/Debian. Version 6.0 of ExTiX is based on the Swiss Linux System paldo 1.15. paldo is a Upkg driven GNU/Linux distribution. It's kind of a mix of a source and a binary distribution. Even though it builds packages like a source distribution it provides binary packages. paldo aims to be simple, pure, up to date and standards compliant.

What is the difference between paldo and ExTiX?

ExTiX has full Swedish language support and many more programs installed than paldo. As ExTiX also comes with kernel sources you can recompile the kernel 2.6.25.15 if you need to (or just for fun). paldo live cd is of 669 MB. ExTiX live dvd is of 1270 MB.

NEWS

This new version of ExTiX Linux Live DVD includes the 2.6.25.15 kernel by default, Gnome 2.22.3, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, all development tools incl. the kernel source, GIMP 2.4.6, Skype 2.0 (Free Internet Telephony), Apache (Web Server), all win32-codecs, Vlc 0.8.6.i janus, GParted 0.3.8, aMule 2.2.2 (file sharing), Opera Web Browser 9.52, Wine 1.0-1, gFTP 2.0.18, Scribus 1.3.3.10-1 and Gnome Web Browser 2.22.3. UnionFS stacks your ExTiX ramdisk on top of the read-only filesystem on the DVD, the effect being that you can upkg-install, and otherwise modify all of the files on the running system as though they were all writeable. The standard Gnome and System language is English. You can, however, easily change language and keyboard layout to Swedish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish or Turkish. Change the language before you log in to the Gnome Desktop. To change keyboard layout: Go to System >> Preferences >> Keyboard >> Layouts >> +Add...).

>>> Download ExTiX >>> (ExTiX is hosted by Sourceforge.net and The Swedish Linux Society)

System Requirements

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or better), 512 MB of RAM, a bootable DVD drive (IDE/ATAPI, Firewire, USB or SCSI), a standard SVGA-compatible graphics card, and a standard serial or PS/2 mouse, or IMPS/2-compatible USB Mouse.

How do I run ExTiX?

In order to start the DVD, first adjust the boot list in the BIOS Setup of your computer to boot from CD/DVD (before the hard drive). Put the DVD in and restart the computer. You run ExTiX as root (superadmin) or as linuxuser. Root's and linuxuser's password is stocksund. ExTiX can also be installed to hard disk. Just follow the link (ExTiX-Installer) on the desktop. See also this Hard Disk Install Instruction.

Apache

Run command httpd -k start to start the server. Open a Web Browser and go to http://localhost.

How do I install and remove programs?

ExTiX/paldo uses Upkg, which is about the same as Debians Apt (Advanced Package Tool). The most important commands are upkg-install programname och upkg-remove programname. You can read about package management with Upkg HERE. Upkg works extremely well. I have, however, installed Vlc and aMule from source (since working versions of Vlc and aMule can't be found in paldo's repositories). You can also install programs in ExTiX from source using the commands 1) ./configure --prefix=/usr 2) make 3) make install.

Erstellt: 2008-11-01 20:55 von Amnon82
Edit   Delete
No comments found.
Subscribe Discussion Subscribe Discussion