Package Search

Members: 351 | Topics: 766 | Posts: 3210
We welcome our newest member: Somewhat Reticent
Info
» You aren't logged in, login or registerOnline: No members and 5 guests | Time: 15:50
Hardware recommendations.
paldo Support Forum    paldo    Hardware Compatibility
Reply Reply   Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic
Request for hardware recommendations
6 posts found.
 Hardware recommendations.
Junior Mitglied

Hello, this is my first post. I stumbled upon your distribution from the post I saw over on www.blenderartists.org.
This distribution looks quite good, the "philosophy" at least seems to be something I agree with for a distribution.
My history with Linux has been good and bad. I worked a bit with Mandrake about 8-10 years ago, and had a Mandrake machine for quite some time. I moved back to windows when graphics hardware started to be more complex, and unfortunately less supported in terms of higher level features.
I went back to Linux a few years ago with Ubuntu, and was going fine for a while, until an "update" ruined the hardware compatibility with my motherboard, and no amount of messing with the configuration files seemed to be able to fix it.

I'd still like to use Linux with the 64 bit blender version, and I'm willing to "build" a relatively new low cost machine to have one available. So, my question is, does anyone have some reasonably priced hardware they can tell me confidently will work with this distribution, and if so, what?

Specifically, my criteria is:
Must be at least dual core processor.
Motherboard must support 8GB of RAM.
Must support hard drives of 250 GB and larger, RAID is "not" necessary.
Video card must support OpenGL 2.0 or higher and run it FAST for using blender.
Video card must support dual monitors in independent resolution configurations (1280 x 1024 on one, 1680 x 1050 on the other) with only a "reasonable" amount of configuration required on my part (preferably it works automatically and I can just "set" the desktop resolutions).
Must support basic DHCP networking, plugged into a 10/100 port, wireless is not necessary.
Sound I'd like for basic music, but don't care about "high quality" or "surround" configurations.
I don't need or care about using a scanner, printer, or digital camera.
Any input that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Even if someone has a link to a "manufacturer made" PC with a configuration list that they are currently using Paldo and Blender with successfully, would be sufficient.
Profile   Private Message
Created: 2008-10-30 00:15
Highlight selected Text   Edit   Delete   Quote Reply
 Re: Hardware recommendations.
Mitglied

Hello Redbeer,
we have installed paldo on a number of machines as well as a laptop.
I see that you know the importance of a good gfx card so that blender will not give you any troubles so let's move on the the rest of the hard ware.

First, if you live in a major city (or close by) you could just download a recent 64bit iso from paldo (under "Downloads") and then just take that to a computer store and boot off the CD or DVD. This way, you get to "test" the hardware and learn right away if something is wrong.

HP machines are inexpensive and well built and I can only say good things about HP. As long as you avoid the non nvidia models, you should be good to go for a pleasant paldo and blender experience.

I love to produce and be creative so having a Linux distro that just works was very important to me. I hope that plado will perform well for you too.

I hope you have a great start with paldo and that all your existing hardware will behave :-)

Ciao!
Created: 2008-10-30 04:16
Junior Mitglied

Zitat
Original erstellt: 2008-10-30 04:16 von seanix
Hello Redbeer,
we have installed paldo on a number of machines as well as a laptop.
I see that you know the importance of a good gfx card so that blender will not give you any troubles so let's move on the the rest of the hard ware.

First, if you live in a major city (or close by) you could just download a recent 64bit iso from paldo (under "Downloads") and then just take that to a computer store and boot off the CD or DVD. This way, you get to "test" the hardware and learn right away if something is wrong.

HP machines are inexpensive and well built and I can only say good things about HP. As long as you avoid the non nvidia models, you should be good to go for a pleasant paldo and blender experience.

I love to produce and be creative so having a Linux distro that just works was very important to me. I hope that plado will perform well for you too.

I hope you have a great start with paldo and that all your existing hardware will behave :-)

Ciao!

Well, I did download the 64 Bit live CD, and I rebooted my current Vista machine with it. A lot of things worked, but some, did not. First of all, the CD did not immediately recognize the second monitor, but that could very well be that I need to go in and configure it to do so, which probably can't be done on the LiveCD because I can't "write" to the file.

However, the sound did not function either. I have a Realtek on board audio chip. Does anyone know if that is compatible if I do a "full install", and/or what audio chip(s) seem to function the best under Linux/Paldo, because, as I said, I can build a new machine and pick a motherboard with a chip that I know will work.

I was glad to see that functional versions of Inkscape, and Gimp, as well as a Video player that would play DVD (.vob) files was fully functional (without sound obviously) on the Live CD. I also really like the idea that this Linux distribution won't have a lot of "redundant" programs cluttering up the works.
Created: 2008-10-30 11:46
Administrator

Zitat
Original erstellt: 2008-10-30 11:46 von Redbeer
Well, I did download the 64 Bit live CD, and I rebooted my current Vista machine with it. A lot of things worked, but some, did not. First of all, the CD did not immediately recognize the second monitor, but that could very well be that I need to go in and configure it to do so, which probably can't be done on the LiveCD because I can't "write" to the file.

Have you downloaded the stable or the testing version of the Live CD? The testing version should support setting up your second monitor by opening System->Preferences->Screen Resolution. This doesn't work with all graphics chips/drivers.

In general, open source drivers work best with ATI R200-R500 cards and Intel on-board chips. The more recent ATI R600 and R700 chips will also be supported in the future, however, at the moment hardware acceleration support has not been implemented yet for these cards in the current driver.

Nvidia chips should work well with the proprietary Nvidia driver. The previously mentioned "Screen Resolution" tool cannot be used with the Nvidia driver, however, dual monitor setup should work fine when configuring it using a special Nvidia tool (run `nvidia-settings') or manually in the config file.

Zitat
However, the sound did not function either. I have a Realtek on board audio chip. Does anyone know if that is compatible if I do a "full install", and/or what audio chip(s) seem to function the best under Linux/Paldo, because, as I said, I can build a new machine and pick a motherboard with a chip that I know will work.

If you've only tried the stable version, I'd recommend you to try again with the testing Live CD or wait for paldo 1.16, it will be released in a few days.
Profile   Private Message   Web
Created: 2008-10-30 12:03
Junior Mitglied

Zitat
Original erstellt: 2008-10-30 12:03 von juerg

If you've only tried the stable version, I'd recommend you to try again with the testing Live CD or wait for paldo 1.16, it will be released in a few days.

I'll try the testing build and/or wait for 1.16. I was indeed using the stable version of the Live CD.

I am aware of nvidia-settings, this is the issue I had with Ubuntu last year. They released an updated kernel, but did not release nvidia-settings, nor did they release the updated kernel with the nvidia proprietary drivers they had used previously, and it basically made the build obsolete for me.
With the nivida proprietary drivers it seems they need to be compiled with the kernel?
I hope that, if paldo continues to be built with the nvidia proprietary drivers, that there is consistent effort to maintain these things that I consider to be "the basics". I have no problem if I need to spend time messing with configuration files, to do "non standard" things, or compiling my own code, but I'm not the type of person that wants to rebuild the OS and spend a day creating a custom configuration to get something that was previously working, working again, just so I can use the computer.

Thanks for the information about the test CD and the forthcoming update.
Created: 2008-10-30 13:33

Linux-Dude

Hi Redbeer. We are in the middle of our next rls. You can use testing branch atm as Rls-Canidate if you like. 1.16 might be rlsed at the end of next week ...

Also in testing branch we're using newer drivers and kernels so testing might be interesting for you on that point ...
Profile   Private Message   E-Mail
Created: 2008-10-31 02:10
Subscribe Topic Subscribe Topic